- 8 cups frozen black eye peas
- 2 red onions, minced
- 1 red pepper, minced
- 2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup parsley, minced
- 5 cups panko bread crumbs oil for sautéing
Cook black eye peas according to package directions. Drain and reserve half. Mix half the peas with the next 11 ingredients and 2 cups of breadcrumbs in food processor. Pulse until well combined.
Carefully fold in reserved peas, and shape mixture into 2 inch cakes. Coat with bread crumbs. Meanwhile, heat oil over medium high.
When sizzling, sauté cakes until brown, about 3 minutes per side.
Can be served warm atop sautéed greens, or cool to room temperature. Top with pepper jelly, crumbled goat cheese, or anything else that strikes you.
About this recipe
1522 East Rutherford Street
What’s a picnic basket without chicken salad? Go online for Suzanne’s recipe for Smoked Chicken Salad With Pesto Mayo at www.edibleupcountry.com