- ¾ cup plus ½ cup olive oil
- 1 butternut squash, diced
- 2 Vidalia onions, sliced
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon pimentón dulce (Spanish smoked paprika)
- Sea salt flakes (preferrably Maldon)
- Pumpkin seeds, for garnish
- ½ cup cream (optional)
Heat ¾ cup of the olive oil in a large pot. Add the sliced onions, butternut squash and salt. Cover and cook on low heat until the vegetables are soft and juices come out.
Add water to cover the vegetables; cook for 25 minutes. Then, blend using an immersion blender.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining ½ cup oil in a small saucepan and add the pimentón. Heat over medium heat for 2 minutes.
To serve, stir cream into soup if desired. Ladle into bowls or glasses, drizzle with pimentón olive oil, and top with pumpkin seeds.