- 3 pounds bone-in chicken breasts, or a cut-up whole chicken
- 8 ounces mushrooms, whole
- 6-8 red potatoes, quartered
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and minced
- 2-3 lemons, cut into slices
- ½ cup Castelvetrano olives, smashed with the flat edge of a chef’s
- knife and pitted
- 1-2 6-inch springs of fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 32 ounce container of reduced sodium chicken stock
- ¼ bottle Pinot Grigio or Chenin Blanc (both add a hint of sweet, grassy flavor)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350°.
In a large Dutch oven on the stovetop, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Salt and pepper chicken and sear, roughly 4 minutes each side. Stir in onion, garlic, mushrooms and olives. When vegetables begin to soften, deglaze by pouring wine into pot and scraping browned bits from the bottom. Simmer 5-7 minutes. Then add chicken stock and potatoes, stirring well. Add rosemary, salt, pepper and lemons. Cover with lid. Place in oven at 350 degrees for 70-90 minutes, until stew is thickened and chicken is falling off the bone. Serve with crusty bread and white wine.