- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped green olives
- Salt, pepper, hot sauce and sugar to taste
- 2 envelopes plain gelatin (or you could substitute agar or carrageenan for vegetarians. They are algae and seaweed but they have the same effect.)
- Mayonnaise and paprika
Mix tomato juice, onions, celery, vinegar and seasonings to taste. Boil slowly for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, dissolve gelatin in a few tablespoons of water according to package directions. Strain tomato mixture into gelatin. When it begins to set up, add chopped olives, and pour into mold. Chill for 4 hours, or overnight.
Release aspic from mold by dipping it a couple of times into hot water, and inverting on a platter. Top with mayonnaise and paprika. Serves a crowd.