- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 pounds tenderloin, sirloin, round or flank steak cut in strips (or ground beef)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 can beef consommé
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or “to taste”)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Cooked rice or noodles, for serving
Sauté onions in butter until limp. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Brown quickly on all sides. Add tomato paste and mushrooms.
Add consommé and sour cream a little at a time. Add soy sauce and simmer 20 minutes, thickening with flour as needed.
Serve over cooked rice or noodles.
Recipe by Knox & Marsha White, Greenville